This square is in memory of the 1798 battle against Napoleon’s Cisalpine troops, which resulted in Ticino’s entrance into the Helvetic Confederation in 1803.
The obelisk with its bas-reliefs reminds us of how the city must have looked at the end of the 18th century. Opposite there is the Congress Hall, where several different concerts and events take place. In the City’s Ciani Park, which covers a surface of 60.000 sq. meters, there is Villa Ciani; the latter has been recently restored. It was purchased in 1839 by two brothers, Giacomo e Filippo Ciani, who some years later commissioned its renovation to the Milanese architect Clerichetti. It has been the property of the City of Lugano ever since 1912.
The information on this site, concerning services or products is provided by external partners. This Information is liable to change frequently; for this reason Lugano Region cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies.