Homepage > See & Do > Art & culture > Chiesa Sant'Abbondio
It was documented from as early as 1372 and became a Parish Church in 1530. In front of the facade, slightly to the south, there is a post-Romanic truncated bell tower. The church is an oriented basilica, with a high gabled facade supported by pillars with side volutes. On the volute, there are illusionistic architectural depictions of very high artistic quality, dating back to 1850, and a painting of Our Lady of the Rosary in a chiaroscuro technique, dated to the 18th century, by Giuseppe Antonio Petrini. In the nearby cemetery, the tombstone of architect Pietro Boffa from Montagnola - mainly active in Russia in 1875 - features the "Prayer" sculpture by Vincenzo Vela. Hermann Hesse is also buried in this cemetery.
The information on this site, concerning services or products is provided by external partners. This Information is liable to change frequently; for this reason Lugano Region cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies. Due to the ever-changing COVID-19 pandemic situation, we suggest that you check with the indicated contacts directly for possible activity restrictions.