San Salvatore Museum


Free entry

The rooms host a precious collection of rare religious art, an exhibition dedicated to rocks, minerals, fossils and speleology of the region and the history of the lightening research centre.

The San Salvatore Museum, which opened in 1999 and is located on the summit, was set up by the Mount San Salvatore Funicular railway company in partnership with the Archfraternity of Good Death and Prayer and named “Santa Marta”.

The rooms which house the museum collections have been meticulously restored, but once formed an ancient hospice used since its construction at the end of the 17th century to provide shelter to the poor and travellers making pilgrimages to the San Salvatore church, and for the dutiful spiritual retreats of the confraternity and any hermit friars who wished to make a pilgrimage there.

Over the past decade the Museum has added exciting new exhibitions, again linked to the history of the mountain and structures built on it.

Spread over two floors, the museum currently offers the following exhibitions: Archfraternity/Religious art objects - Geology - Speleology - Lightning


  • Tourism poster exhibition “From the Gotthard tunnel 1882 to the Ceneri base tunnel 2020”
  • Photo exhibition "San Salvatore 4x4" at the Restaurant Vetta San Salvatore


  • Permanent Collection: objects connected to the history of the dell'Arciconfraternita della Buona Morte e Orazione of Lugano and an area dedicated to the minerals and fossils of the region



  • Entrance included for funicolar ticket-owners

The information on this site, concerning services or products is provided by external partners. This Information is liable to change frequently; for this reason Lugano Region cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies.