The building will then be demolished in 1934, to make way for a new square initially called "del sole", which leads to the Chiattone climb leading to the Cathedral. After the funicular had been commissioned in 1886, the square was called Piazza Funicolare.
He regained the ancient toponym of Cioccaro in 1942. The name Cioccaro has an ancient tradition, resulting in documents attested since the end of the thirteenth century. It recalls the dialectal ciuchée "bell tower", referring here to the bell tower of San Lorenzo, which overlooks the area.
The information on this site, concerning services or products is provided by external partners. This Information is liable to change frequently; for this reason Lugano Region cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies. Due to the ever-changing COVID-19 pandemic situation, we suggest that you check with the indicated contacts directly for possible activity restrictions.
Lugano’s new cultural centre, LAC Lugano Arte e Cultura was created with the aim of adding value to the cultural and artistic life of the city and the region. It is endowed with a concert and theatre hall and a museum, the first in the region designed for this purpose.