Museo plebano

Agno

Free entry

Located in the house adjacent to the Collegiate Church of Saints John and Provino, the small museum offers exhibits ranging from archaeology to history and art.

Created in 1955 and refurbished in 1992, with the aim of exhibiting images, materials and objects found in the region of Pieve di Agno, the museum wanted above all to testify to the historical-geographical importance of the area, located along the communication route that linked the Lombardy plain and the passes of the upper Ticino. Finds prove that these places were already inhabited in prehistoric times. The Pieve di Agno, founded by Ambrosians, extended its jurisdiction from the Marchirolo valley to Malcantone, Monte Ceneri and Isone in the year 1000. During Swiss rule, the Pieve included 38 municipalities. With the establishment of Canton Ticino in 1803, the parish churches administratively disappeared.

Today, the museum offers a renewed exhibition concept, also revised in terms of layout, which includes a historical-educational exhibition planned over a two-year period, in which, during the months of September and October, the exhibition part on the first floor is alternated with exhibitions by artists from the region.

Outside the museum and in the small atrium, a number of rare archaeological, historical and sacred art exhibits are on permanent display.

Opening

  • Spring 2024 – Autumn 2024

Timetable

Thursday: 16:00 – 19:00
Sunday: 16:00 – 19:00

Disclaimer
The information on this site, concerning services or products is provided by external partners. This Information is liable to change frequently; for this reason Lugano Region cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies.